Sites for Checking Health-Related Credentials
- ABMS Verification Service (board certification for physicians)
- AMA Physician Select (All licensed medical and osteopathic physicians, but you must specify state in which the doctor practices)
- HealthGrades iwhich maintains a searchable database of medical and osteopathic physicians, is no longer reliable. Its information about disciplinary actions is incomplete, and its quality ratings are not reliable. It may be useful as a screening device to find out about disciplnary actions, but finding none does not mean that none exist.
- LexusNexus Personal Reports charges $7.95 for a single report and $11.95 for a 24-hour pass to its entire database. (Click the Health Care Credentials Link.)
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations: Accreditation directory
- OIG Exclusions Database: (individuals/entities excluded from federally funded health-care programs)
- U.S. Office of Postsecondary Education Database of Accredited Programs: Can tell you whether a practitioner's degree came from an accredited institution.
State Medical and Osteopathic Boards
Most of the links below go directly to a page on which you can look up the current licensing status of doctors within the state. If the link is broken, you may be able to find the board's home page by using the first part of the URL. In some cases, you will have to click one or more links within the site to access the board's "verification" database. In cases where the board does not post a database, we have linked to the home page so that you can see where to inquire by telephone.
This page was revised on September 5, 2013.